My GF Apple Cinnamon Muffins
October 13 2020·
October 13 2020·
I love to bake when I have free time but I especially love to bake in the fall! Nothing like waking up to a cup of hot coffee and a buttered apple cinnamon muffin. Ok, tell me your mouth just watered too?!
I found this recipe 1-2 years ago from: https://mygluten-freekitchen.com/apple-streusel-muffins-gluten-free/. I modified it a tiny bit using a my own ingredients and tips. I've made these muffins countless times. They are super easy to make, a crowd pleaser and 100% boyfriend approved.
The best part? They're gluten free! So zero bloat, zero guilt ;)
GLUTEN FREE APPLE CINNAMON MUFFINS
PREP & MIXING TIME: 25 minutes
BAKING TIME: 17 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35-45 minutes
The Apple Muffin Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups Bob's Mills Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk ( the original recipe called for buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted ( you can use dairy free butter if your vegan )
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples ( I like to do one green one red ) *if you want more muffin and less apple, use 1.5 cups of apples.
The Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup good all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Crushed walnuts if you'd like
- I like to use jumbo muffin tins. This batch will make about 10. Smaller muffin tins will make about 20.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together GF flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, melted butter, vanilla, and brown sugar. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved into mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients mixture in the large bowl. Gently stir together with a rubber spatula. Add the diced apples and stir just until mixed in. Don't over mix aka don't use an electric mixer.
- Use a large spoon to fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. The muffins will rise, don't worry!
The Yummy Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix everything up with a fork. Break off pieces of the chilled butter into the bowl. Use your fingers to mix together until combined. You want it to look and feel like moist sand at the beach.
- Use a fork to sprinkle the crumble topping onto muffins, until they are all covered. With the fork, lightly push the cinnamon crumble into the muffins a tiny bit. If you want to add crushed walnuts, add them ontop.
- Bake at 375° for about 18 minutes. Use the old toothpick trick to test that they're cooked through.
- Let cool in the pan about 5-10 minutes. Flip tin over onto a clean pan. Your muffins should slide right out.
Keep your muffins in a covered container at room temperature. These muffins are best eaten within 2-3 days of baking. The cinnamon crumble on top will get mushy.